Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Sharing HP Deskjet 5600 series (HPA) on Windows 7

Just finished sharing my HP 5850 printer on my home network in Windows 7 with my Windows XP machine. Sounds easy yes?. Well it took me a while to do this, here is what I went through.

USB connection to the 5850 from Windows 7 machine, whoops, no real driver for this so you need the 5600 Series (HPA) driver for it to function. Ok now sharing it out, well you have to enable sharing for people who do not have an account on that machine; (hey, this is a home network) another step. now to add additional drivers (like, for XP but nope, can't do that cause it asks for .inf file and I can't find it 0k didn't really investigate if it was there, but i am fairly sure the lay-person won't find it)

Now, going to the XP machine I point to the windows 7 machine and low and behold it says "driver is not installed on that machine, so browse to it on your own machine", but then it is nowhere to be found on the machine (or I couldn't find the driver as I checked every $win inf$ file there was)...and also guess what, you won't find that HPA driver anywhere at HP.com either.

So... I installed a 5800 series printer on my xp machine, pointed it to the local port and said just install the driver even though the it cannot find the printer. Then I went to the newly created printer and changed the port; created new port and called it \\(windows7machine)\(sharedprintername)

Now I can print to the shared printer on the Windows 7 machine.

Anybody got a better way?

5 comments:

  1. It's real, and it's in production. Corillian won't release source because it's part of how we do business, but it's fairly simple and all the parts are there in the paper for one to write it themselves. A few people have, it's pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!! I finally got my HP 5650 on my Win 7 x64 shared to my XP machine using your trick. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's what I'm trying to do also... Install a local printer on XP and then change the port to the \\win7pc\printer one... but it doesn't work. I get a "Specified port cannot be added. Operation could not be completed". The same trick works the other way around for a printer installed on the XP machine, I set it up on the Win7 one just fine... Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read the instructions on HP's website, that says
    "(step)6. Click the Use an existing port drop-down list, select LPT1: (Printer Port) , and then click Next."

    FALSE. Drop down and use the USB port. Worked for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go to C:\Windows\inf and there is u driver, u can check it name in admin panel when u click on u printer and details>>name of INF file and here u go. For me and mine deskjet 5600 series its oem27.inf. Gl hf:)

    ReplyDelete